Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My cousin Kevin

To this point, I have avoided writing blogs about people because I felt that others might feel left out. The only blog about a single person has been about my mom (what can I say I'm a mamma's boy...proudly!). I could go on and on about special people in my life and those who I care very deeply about. And if they are that close to my heart, then they know that this post is both necessary and timely for me...

You see I have this cousin, brother really, Kevin. A few years back he took off to Nashville in order to chase a dream. I remember telling him he should go. You see Kevin and I knew everything about each other. Are dreams and ambitions, are love for family, and desire to raise our own. There are few people in this world I have laughed more with and also cried. He knows my fears and strengths. We've been through love and loss, laughter and tears, winning and losing. And as each chapter of our life has unfolded, there has never been a doubt that the other was just a phone call away. Kevin is one of those family members that everyone just loves. Charismatic and genuine since a young age...The ultimate people person, man do I have stories! Freinds joke about his ability to meet people, we call him the politician, always passing out lollipops and kissing babies. The rooster for the way he talks and walks, if you know him...you love him. Quick to hug and even quicker to loyally defend the people he cares about. You always know where you stand with him and I have always felt privileged to watch him grow up and be a part of his life. I know God is alive and well in his heart and he is always in my prayers. The Nashville life has kept him extremely busy...not just ordinary busy. He spends countless weeks on the road, and over the years I have spoken to him less and less. Now as busy as I have been, there is rarely a day that goes bye that I don't think about Kev. I always pray he's doing alright and I get updates through family that speak to him often. I know he reads this blog every once in a while so I have a message for him.

Cuz, If you where to run into me last week I probably would have punched you right in the face! You know why... It has been too long. But prayer and reflection have brought me to this place. In the background of your life, beyond the cheers you hear nightly is someone who could care less about the show. I cheer for you, hoping that God has touched your heart in a way that gives you contentment, happiness, purpose and meaning. Knowing you has affected who I am, and that imprint, and a shared love for God and family brings us to the reason I feel compelled to tell you that out here in California, you have a brother for life. Anytime...Anywhere you have always been able to count on me. Nothing has changed. No matter where you are, that is where God wants you. I miss you cousin. I love you and God Bless.

P.S. The next time you call me from the Brickyard it better be in order to tell me where you are meeting me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you dog! you should write an inspirational book!Love you
Danny

Anonymous said...

Thanks Matt. You captured Kevin and your relationship very nicely. Kev sent me a picture from the Brickyard, unfortunately my cell phone is not a camera phone. I can just imagine what a
cool picture it is. If you got the photo, could you please fax it to my pager.

I love ya Matt. Thanks for writing and spreading the Word about Jesus.
Uncle E

Anonymous said...

Hey cousin- You sure know how to hit me right in the heart, put a smile on my face and make my eyes tear up...again! Danny called to tell me about this post, almost as if he was so proud that our cousin Matt was speaking for him as well and expressing the love we all share for each other. With a humble heart, Thanks cuz, you made my day/week/month/all of the above!! I can promise you that I hear your prayers and cheers over the thousands of screaming fans each night! That is more comforting than you know! Never thought that being around tens of thousands of people each week could be so lonely. You get to a point where prayer, memories and anticipation for seeing family and friends keeps me going and puts a smile on my face. I hope you know how much you inflenced me in many life decesions like moving to Oklahoma then New Mexico... and now Nashville. Not just with your support of me chasing a dream but inspiring me with your ability to make a beautiful song and touch so many people. I have always been one of your biggest fans. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, I miss you more than you know and most of all cousin, I am so proud to see you as a Man of God and a leader of a beautiful family. Love you, kiss the kids and Wendy for me and look forward to our race weekend sometime in the near future!! You just say when??
Cousin Kevin

Anonymous said...

Wow...to have my three fav "young" guys on same page saying such profound and Godly things just made me almost short out the computer with tears. I feel blessed to see the answer to prayers, and we are blessed to have each other in our lives!!!
Aunt Mimi

Elissa said...

do all of you people have to make me cry? Jeesh!