Thursday, July 31, 2008

He didn't have to be

The other day I was at work and we were watching Walk Hard-the Dewey Cox story. Hilarious movie but there is this one part where Dewey's wife is leaving him and he says "you can take the children but you leave my monkey." It was a hilarious scene but my buddy at work struck up a more serious conversation about Fathers and responsibility. Now for those of you that have met my Dad you probably didn't know that he is not my biological Father. He and my mom split up when I was very young and now I have only the snapshots in my memory. I probably wouldn't recognize him if I bumped into him on the street. My Dad, Pete, is my dad... my Father. As we discussed my friends story I began to reflect upon my own family and I began to think about my Dad. I wonder what it would have been like to walk into the responsibility of two boys that were not yours. I wonder what I would have done in that same situation. I know I was a cute kid but cute only goes so far and parenting is for life. I look at my Dad and I see the mistakes he made as a parent. Young kids often look to blame the way they were raised. But one fact can't escape me as I grow up and have my own children. He didn't have to be a Dad to children that were not his and he certainly didn't have to stick around long after we ceased to be cute kids. He didn't have to Coach my soccer team or show up to my diving events or take me to work with him when I was younger. He didn't have to care. I mean lets be honest, Guys don't look for kids to raise...he was interested in my mom and we were just part of the package. But over 30 years later my Dad has stayed the course, and of all the lessons he taught me growing up, whether he realizes it or not, the greatest lesson has been unconditional love and commitment. I love hanging out with my Dad. We have alot of the same interests although I wish he liked the Niners more. You see I look at my Dad and I realize that sometimes in life people show you Christ like love, and you never even saw it coming. When I first got married, Wendy's relationship with God was not a priority, but if you were to look at the two of us. She exemplified the love and commitment of Christ far more than I did...and I claimed to be a believer. What can I say I married out of my league. As for my Dad, I realize that God has given me a reflection of himself in the face of my Father and that my biological Father was pushed aside by the Spirit so that my Dad could be part of my life. The foundation of my faith came from my Mother and Fathers insistence that I attend faith based schools and church on Sundays. Who knows what would have happened if things had not unfolded in the way they did. This is not to say that we didn't have our rough patches, but behind the conflict, I now see that whatever my Father may have done, he always wanted the best for us. There is a country song by Brad Paisley called "He didn't have to be" that encompasses the sentiment I have for my Dad. You can youtube it if you want and listen to the words. To my Dad, ever since the conversation on the back patio of my house I have prayed that you would understand that God has used you throughout my life. You have been an instrument of him. I cherish the relationship we have now and I am only just beginning to see life through your eyes...the eyes of a Father. I love you Dad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Jared can say these exact words one day!

Anonymous said...

Dude again you on fire! en fuego! you need to write a book!
Love D

Anonymous said...

Mahtarahma,

Cuzphew, you are on. Having been very close to your dad during the adoption/raising process, I witnessed a very unselfish love in his care for you kids. It was a seamless transition that worked well. Oh the stories and the joys that we shared as two close families. The faith transfer is amazing. It was our hope and seeing it come to fruition in our adult chidren is a great joy. In His name we pray for continued growth.

Our friend in San Antonio calls marrying above yourself like you and I did, "Out kicking the Coverage." Way to go Matt. Love you too Wendy.

Elmer

Anonymous said...

Your blogs always make me cry!!!
Love, W

missy said...

Matt, although I don't get a chance to read your blogs as often as I would like, when I do,It always puts a smile in my heart. We are so blessed to have you in our family.

Love Missy

Elissa said...

Um, hello-- baby pictures!!!!!