Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fat Food Fast Life

One of the things I say in discussions is that we live in a fast food soceity. What I mean by that is in todays hustle bustle world, we are always looking to become stramlined, quicker, more efficient, and faster. We feel the need to turn and burn, fry and fly, hitch and go, get in where we fit in, get in get out, get up get down, and take no prisoners. In the business world this way of thinking has brought about amazing advances in technology and communication. But in our home lives, I believe it is an assault on intimacy, tight knit relationships, and true happiness. We are always trying to achieve bigger and better things while its the best things that suffer for it. Yesterday I spent the afternoon with Tanner at the school trying to teach him to pitch. He wants to pitch and although he has one hell of an arm, I think the guy at the plate is in the safest spot because he has no accuracy. As I spent this little time with him I realized that he had to drag me out there. I've got stuff to do...tiling in the bathroom, bills to pay, things to organize...I can't play! But while he made his old man run around the field after grounders laughing the whole time, It became clear... there is a scale of moments. The moments you grow up with. Some experiences are bad. Although you learn from them they still stay on the bad side. Some moments are good. Those get tucked away in your heart cherished on the good side of the scale. Hapiness is when the weight of the good moments outweighs the bad and the scale is tipped in the right direction. An understanding of this in light of God helps transform the bad moments and tips the scale even further. I have suggested in earlier blogs that we spend our time loving. By doing this we not only adhere to the lessons of scripture, but we also help to stack other peoples' scales favorably. Which brings us back to fast food soceity. If we spend our time clawing our way to the top, we may succeed and feel great personal satisfaction in our accomplishment, but ask yourself, who's scale suffered. Who where the losers on the way to our victory. I made a pact with myself that my childeren would never be unhapy because I upset the balance by adding to the wrong side. They will have so much to process and deal with as they get older. Slow down, cling to good moments, multiply them. And my kids will understand the best accomplishment. True, Christlike love for others. That's the only race I hope they run.

2 comments:

OneZenMom said...

Lovely. I've often said that our children teach us patience - in more ways than one! - if we just let them. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG...Sierra looks like Grayson! Ok, Ok, I know you might think that you can't tell what they look like in these pictures. But I swear that you can!

It was nice spending some time with you guys on Friday - even though we were moving. Thanks for listening, Matt. I would love for us to get close again (Wendy).

Love you guys,
Jen