Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The tides of life

I used to go to High School with this girl named Christian. She and I became friends when I was a freshman and although we didn't hang together all that much we would talk from time to time and I considered her to be a friend. She had this way about her that was friendly and inviting and she was popular I'm sure as a result. One day during senior year she pulled me aside and said I have something I want to ask you...will you walk with me during graduation. I really hadn't given it much thought, senior year was kind of a blur and I wasn't teriibly excited about graduating, I guess I finally felt comfortable in High School. Story of my life...I always get good at things when they are about to end. At any rate I agreed and we walked that day out onto the field at cabrillo college. I hugged her, wished her well, and we went our seperate ways like so many other people in my life. I thought about Christian from time to time as I traveled through old memories. And I would fall away into that time where everything meant so much and yet unknowingly, we hadn't even scratched the surface of what our lives would be. And with a little sentiment I would wave goodbye to the past knowing that those people had a hand in the person I am today. And in that way I guess you never really lose them. But the world did lose Christian. In 2004 she lost a seven year battle with brain cancer. I had not seen or talked to her but one time in the 14 years since that day at the college and yet the news of her death affected me in a way I can't truly describe. In the hustle and bustle of life, time and distraction allowed me to think less about the friend I once had or maybe I wanted it that way. But I logged on to facebook and looked at a site dedicated to my class and there was a link to the Christian Hamel memorial fund. My emotions welled up inside and I was transported instantly to that last day. Her smile, her laugh. I stupidly had been drinking before the graduation but she helped me with my robe, and in some ways helped me through the ceremony (A moment in life I wish i could redo).
In opening up windows to the past I have discovered that I have truly lived a great life, and although I have had down times and valleys I have had joy and laughter and I shared it with people that matter more than I realized. These are the tides of life and wether it be high or low the people in the outer circle of our lives affect us more deeply than we think. I found myself wishing I could have spoken to her again and remembering how great and important she made me feel the day she asked me to share with her a milestone in both our lives. As sad as her story is I would like her to know that she touched me and I never told her.

...take the time to tell those people that have helped you, touched you, or lifted you up. Don't let the sunset on your oppurtunity to let people know that they are now and always will be important to you. If you do this, I promise you will in part be returning the favor but more importantly you can rest easy that the most important things in life where not left unsaid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frick thats easy ILOVE YOU, i know you know it but I will say it again!
Frack

Anonymous said...

Matt,
You have been one of those people for me! Have a wonderful Christmas!
Karen V.