Sunday, November 30, 2008

The core

Several years ago my grandmother died...Her death did more than bring grief, It splintered a family structure and left it in ashes. The family that she left was sent into a tailspin. I often had conversations with my brother about how she was the hub of an intricate wheel in which the spokes all spun around. She was that in life...and in death the family was stuck with the dilemna of what to do with the seperated pieces. Of course at first, subconciously, we looked to see who would fill her spot. This was ridiculous and an exercise in futility in that no one could, and I think we all learned, no one should. Death wasn't foreign to us, we had lost grampy several years earlier. But we had Gram and Grandma to shine for us as keepers of the faith. It wasn't easy for them, but they showed us how to except death and then...live! I see so much of my grandmother in my aunts and my uncles she... left such an imprint. I remember that any moment she would shut her eyes raise her hands and say "praise you Lord Jesus."

In light of this wonderful woman, is it any wonder that the core was formed. Look at the examples: Pa, Grandma, Grammy, Grampy, Auntie Russi and Uncle Michael, Aunt Noel and Uncle Randy, Uncle Peto and Auntie Fray. Fellow members of the core, these are our heros. Is their any question that at any time you could approach anyone of these people for help and they would walk to the corners of the globe to make sure you were safe. The core is an extension of them, you all are an extension of them and I feel very proud and humbled to be counted among you. This family, like every family, has never been perfect, and yet not only have we survived, we have thrived under a blanket of acceptance and love that I have rarely seen woven by strong faithful people that have held family up as second only to God.

To the core I echo this sentiment so eloquently laid out by Unc, we need not look to try to stay engaged in eachothers life because we already are. We don't need to ramp up efforts because in my world the love I have for you is effortless and easy. I am so proud of all of you and you should know that I often talk of you not as cousins but as brothers and sisters. When we are in town we want to see Maddi pitch and we are so interested in what is happenning in Davis and Mexico. Weddings, babies, furure engagements?, are all tops on our list of joyful news and exciting happennings. I love you guys and pray for you not only for strength and peace and guidance in your own lives, but thankfulness for the blessing that you are to ours.

We love you very much

No comments: