Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A promise

After several weeks off from blogging I was excited to again be able to write about the things that I think about. Bloggging is a bit of a release for me and I really enjoy reading the blogs as sort of a history of where I've been and where I am going. I can update people as to the events in our life and you can say I get as much out of it as anyone else...weather they agree with me or not. After some criticism early on I accepted that not everyone would agree with what I said and was comfortable with that. In this life I have played the follower, it didn't suit me. But when people I respect criticize what I say or think, I listen. Perhaps there was a time I did not and I thought that in order to be strong we must stand against the tide of criticism and rebuke, especially in a biblical sense. However, it has been revealed to me that without changing ideals or opinions, criticism can open up pathways if you allow them too. There are smart people, dedicated people, loving people that don't see things as I do and relationships that are far stronger than any criticism leveled.

Yesterday Grayson was tryingto be funny for his parents and he wrote on a sign PU and taped it to his butt. His butt is a source of great laughter lately and he can't even hear the word without bursting into laughter. We told him the sign was inappropriate and so he took off and we thought it was the end of it. He returned a short time later with another sign, Ihat you. He meant I hate you and for some reason he thought it was funny because he was laughing. I immidiately scolded him for the content of the sign and although my tone and words where calm, he realized what he had said and went into his room and began to cry. I knew he was hurting, Grayson is very loving and when he realized what he had done, he felt ashamed and he knew he could not take it back, I walked into the room put my arms around him and said "Son, do you think that daddy believes that in life you will make no mistakes? He looked perplexed..." I repeated the question and he put his head in my shoulder. I was not mad about the sign, I only felt it incumbent upon me as his Dad to point out the error.

This is how I view criticism, my intent is not always clear, and my words not always carefully chosen. Passion gets the better of me sort of like humor got the better of Grayson. So I make a promise, In the future any political blog will contain factual, poiniant, and relevant material to underscore any opinion I may have. I will refrain from cursing in that it isn't necessary and in some respects damaging.

That being said, I am still just as passionately opposed to the direction of our Nation and the proposed policies of this current administration. I have arrived at my conclusions with a careful and realistic look into history. But a loved one has shown me that perhaps how a dish is served is as important as what is on it. I thank him for that.

Lastly, don't worry this is still a blog that is only 20% political. I am far more passionate about my family and the work that Christ is doing in my life and the lives of people around me. And that will continue to be the focus because that is what is in my heart

No comments: